A Deacon a threefold ministry, including the Service of the Word, the Service of the Liturgy, the Service of Charity, Justice, and Pastoral Outreach.
The Ministry of the Liturgy comprises many duties and services, including:
- Assisting at Mass
- Presiding at the Liturgy of the Word both with and without Communion
- Presiding at baptisms and marriages
- Conducting at funeral services
- Presiding at Benediction and other devotional services
The Ministry of Charity, Justice, and Pastoral Outreach includes such things as:
- Reaching out to those who are poor or in need
- Being present to those who are on the margins of society
- Serving those who are lonely or hurting in any way
- Advocating for the dignity of all people
We all have titles so here are mine: baby boy, son, brother, and cousin. Child, dirty, washed, centerfield, student, and altar server. Teenager, runner, average student, grocery store clerk, construction worker, and lector. College student, HUSBAND, graduate, Air Force Officer, and DAD. Retired, tree salesman, High School teacher, PAPPA, and DEACON. I have four titles I cherish the most, but you already know them.